Did someone say vegan homemade soft pretzels…ummmm yes please! I love a good soft pretzel with mustard and I was having a pregnancy craving the other day….so we went on the hunt for a recipe since we are still quarantining at home right now. Our takeaway was making pretzels yesterday was super fun and super messy. I ended up with flour all over my pregnant belly (that was likely inevitable) and kitchen (also inevitable when baking with kids). Something else I learned was apparently I can only make pretzels into the shape of 💩 whereas @ryancrownholm is quite the pretzel chef…pretzel after soft pretzel was perfectly shaped and ready to be baked. My husband clearly has some hidden talents that I am just now learning about 12 years later. While making homemade pretzels takes a little bit of time, I highly recommend it because these pretzels are super tasty and totally worth the time!
How to make Vegan Homemade Soft Pretzels
1. 2 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp salt, 1c warm water and mix. Now add 2.5 tsp (1 packet) active yeast and let foam on top. Do not mix. Wait 10 min
2. Now add 2 tbsp melted vegan butter and mix all. We transferred to the mixer at this point
3. Mix in 2.5 c of all purpose flour
4. Transfer to a new bowl. Spray with oil and place dough ball in, cover and let rise for 1hr+
5. Preheat oven to 450 and prepare baking soda bath (5 cups boiling water on stove +1/4c basking soda)
6. Take dough ball and flatten into a pizza shape and cute into 8-10 pieces. Roll into strips and shape into pretzels
7. Dip in the baking soda bath for 20 seconds and then place on baking tray
8. Cover with vegan butter, salt, cinnamon sugar, etc
9. Bake for about 10-15 min and they are perfection
Go crazy with toppings. While we didn’t get to it yesterday, your pretzels could be pizza inspired, loaded with cinnamon sugar, colored with rainbow natural food dye…have fun!